• Welcome to JD Fanatics Forum

1973 110 - Steering hard to turn off center?

Discussion in 'JD Lawn & Garden Tractor Forum' started by Scuter83, May 5, 2020.

1. Scuter83

Scuter83 New Member

So I have had my '73 110 for about two years and this year the steering has started to get harder to turn and almost feels stuck just near center. It is harder to turn to the right than the left when the condition presents itself. I have jacked the front up to get the front tires off the ground and it still has the issue. I tried to both tighten and loosen the adjusting bolt for the steering at the front, but it doesn't seem to help. I can't see where it is binding. Is there a common issue with steering parts that causes this I should look into? Do the steering column/drive go bad or need adjusting somewhere? Sort of at a loss right now where to start.

Thanks,
    Scott

Chaser and Kster526 like this.
  2. johndeereelfman

johndeereelfman Member Staff Member

Sounds like you might have a ball bearing out of wack in the steering column. You'll need to remove the plug found on the end of your steering box to examine the internals. Probably be easier to remove the whole steering column.

backwoods and Chaser like this.

3. Scuter83

Scuter83 New Member

I fiddled with the bolt at the front and it seems to be doing better. A little hard to turn in one spot but nothing like it was before. I figure I will keep it like this until something changes and it gets worse.

Kster526 and Chaser like this.
  4. backwoods

backwoods Well-Known Member

How much grease is in the front spindles or in the column?

Kster526 and Chaser like this.
  5. Scuter83

Scuter83 New Member

I greased the front spindles last year and the beginning of this mowing season as well. The column I will have to look for a zerk to grease