JD Fanatic Forums banner
41 - 60 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Here are before and after photos of the pedestal and the frame of my '66 Model 110 restoration. Reassembly is coming along, but with the cooler temperatures we're experiencing, I've had to stop painting. I still have to spray clear coat on the hood, hood supports, and fenders. Plus, I need to paint the rear axles and transmission housing. But, it's time to take all of the completed parts to storage for the winter. I've been cluttering up my garage and basement since last April. View attachment 8515 View attachment 8517 View attachment 8519 View attachment 8523 View attachment 8525 View attachment 8527
Really great work on your 110. I know it's a lot of work but well worth it. It's coming along very well really looking Great!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Hello: I have what is probably a rookie question, but I'm going to ask it, anyway. The spark plug wire on my JD 110 tractor is pretty degraded. I ordered a new one from ISaveTractors. It didn't come with any instructions on how to attach it to the ignition coil. It looks like it would be a push and twist connection. However, I don't know how old the ignition coil is on my JD 110, and if it is older, it may be that the old spark plug wire isn't a simple 'twist and pull' to remove it from the coil. I messed with it some, but I didn't want to ruin it, so I haven't used any force. Do you know if the spark plug wire can be removed from an older ignition coil? Thanks.

·
Registered
153 Posts
You should be able to pull the spark plug wire straight up to remove it, you shouldn't have to twist it.

Reactions: Kster526

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
wow that restoration is coming along nicely. well done
Thank you. It’s been a fun project. I’ve started working on the engine. So far, I’ve spent an hour just cleaning all the old oil and dirt off of it, and I’ve cleaned the carburetor (it had layers of dirt and green paint on it) and installed a carburetor kit. I plan to replace the oil seals, and remove the cylinder head to see how the piston and valves look. If they’re in good shape, then I’ll install new gaskets, paint the block, and put it all back together.
Camera Camera accessory Motor vehicle Machine Film camera

·
Registered
23 Posts
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
I am new here but that is an awesome rebuild! I have a 66' 110 that was my grandpa's and I am in the process of doing the same thing. I am going thru the engine now and all the mechanical stuff this winter then maybe next winter I will tear it back down and paint it. Did you have someone sand blast all the parts? Did you paint it with a rattle can or spray gun? Any tips or tricks before i get too far. I would love to have it show quality but I also may be afraid to touch it because I would not want to scratch it. I also need a mower deck if anyone has any ideas on where to find one. Thanks in advance for any information.

·
Registered
153 Posts
View attachment 8773 I am new here but that is an awesome rebuild! I have a 66' 110 that was my grandpa's and I am in the process of doing the same thing. I am going thru the engine now and all the mechanical stuff this winter then maybe next winter I will tear it back down and paint it. Did you have someone sand blast all the parts? Did you paint it with a rattle can or spray gun? Any tips or tricks before i get too far. I would love to have it show quality but I also may be afraid to touch it because I would not want to scratch it. I also need a mower deck if anyone has any ideas on where to find one. Thanks in advance for any information.

Nice tractor! I would watch craigslist and also facebook marketplace to find a good mower deck.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
View attachment 8773 I am new here but that is an awesome rebuild! I have a 66' 110 that was my grandpa's and I am in the process of doing the same thing. I am going thru the engine now and all the mechanical stuff this winter then maybe next winter I will tear it back down and paint it. Did you have someone sand blast all the parts? Did you paint it with a rattle can or spray gun? Any tips or tricks before i get too far. I would love to have it show quality but I also may be afraid to touch it because I would not want to scratch it. I also need a mower deck if anyone has any ideas on where to find one. Thanks in advance for any information.
Hello: To answer your questions, I did the sandblasting myself. I bought an older Craftsman air compressor for $100, and made the sandblasting gun for less than $10 (videos are online showing how to do this). I used coal slag for the blast media. It is aggressive and messy, but it got down to clean metal in the really rusted and pitted areas. I didn't sand blast the whole tractor. I also used a detail sander, a grinder, and even a citrus stripper on some of the smaller parts.

I used a combination of paint, both rattle cans and professional painting. For some parts, I used rattle cans. I used Rustoleum 'Hardhat' paint, and I also used the spray paint from John Deere. I used a Clear Coat paint that was about $18 a can which has a hardener in it; the parts I used it on turned out very nice. However, for the really noticeable parts that are very exposed (the fenders and the hood), I felt professional painting would be the best option. I've never painted with a spray gun, I don't have a good place to do that kind of painting, so I paid to have it done. Those parts went to a local body shop, they look awesome, and I think they'll hold up against scratches better.

My engine is at a local machine shop right now. I've done engine rebuilds, but that was over 40 years ago. I decided to let a shop do some of the the work, and they're saying it will be about two hours of work, or approximately $150. I disassembled most of the engine myself. When I took the cylinder head off, I was amazed at the amount of carbon built up there. I spent a lot of time cleaning there with a plastic scraper, a brass brush and citrus degreaser. It cleaned up very nicely. There's an older gentleman at that machine shop who seems to know a lot about Kohler engines. He knew immediately that my engine was off of a 1960's John Deere (and all I brought to the shop was the stripped block - there's nothing green on it). He looked at the valves and said he wouldn't touch them - he thinks they are good as is. He's happy with the cylinder, but recommends a light honing, and at a minimum, new rings. He also says to replace the oil seals, and of course all the gaskets. I'll be reassembling most of the engine, and I'll spray the block with John Deere spray paint.

I'm still waiting on parts for the steering box, but that won't take long to finish and reinstall. Other than that, my restoration is nearly complete. It's been a lot of hours, and a lot of fun.

It's nice that you have a family connection to your 110. It looks like it has been well cared for. There was an awful lot of rust hiding under older green spray paint on my 110. I wonder if you really need to take yours down to bare metal, or could it be very lightly sanded and sprayed with a modern clear coat? Anyway, good luck with your project. I hope you'll post photos as you work on it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hello: To answer your questions, I did the sandblasting myself. I bought an older Craftsman air compressor for $100, and made the sandblasting gun for less than $10 (videos are online showing how to do this). I used coal slag for the blast media. It is aggressive and messy, but it got down to clean metal in the really rusted and pitted areas. I didn't sand blast the whole tractor. I also used a detail sander, a grinder, and even a citrus stripper on some of the smaller parts.

I used a combination of paint, both rattle cans and professional painting. For some parts, I used rattle cans. I used Rustoleum 'Hardhat' paint, and I also used the spray paint from John Deere. I used a Clear Coat paint that was about $18 a can which has a hardener in it; the parts I used it on turned out very nice. However, for the really noticeable parts that are very exposed (the fenders and the hood), I felt professional painting would be the best option. I've never painted with a spray gun, I don't have a good place to do that kind of painting, so I paid to have it done. Those parts went to a local body shop, they look awesome, and I think they'll hold up against scratches better.

My engine is at a local machine shop right now. I've done engine rebuilds, but that was over 40 years ago. I decided to let a shop do some of the the work, and they're saying it will be about two hours of work, or approximately $150. I disassembled most of the engine myself. When I took the cylinder head off, I was amazed at the amount of carbon built up there. I spent a lot of time cleaning there with a plastic scraper, a brass brush and citrus degreaser. It cleaned up very nicely. There's an older gentleman at that machine shop who seems to know a lot about Kohler engines. He knew immediately that my engine was off of a 1960's John Deere (and all I brought to the shop was the stripped block - there's nothing green on it). He looked at the valves and said he wouldn't touch them - he thinks they are good as is. He's happy with the cylinder, but recommends a light honing, and at a minimum, new rings. He also says to replace the oil seals, and of course all the gaskets. I'll be reassembling most of the engine, and I'll spray the block with John Deere spray paint.

I'm still waiting on parts for the steering box, but that won't take long to finish and reinstall. Other than that, my restoration is nearly complete. It's been a lot of hours, and a lot of fun.

It's nice that you have a family connection to your 110. It looks like it has been well cared for. There was an awful lot of rust hiding under older green spray paint on my 110. I wonder if you really need to take yours down to bare metal, or could it be very lightly sanded and sprayed with a modern clear coat? Anyway, good luck with your project. I hope you'll post photos as you work on it.
Thanks for all the info. I am getting super excited now. I started a thread about my restore and questions.
1966 110 Restore help

41 - 60 of 115 Posts