JD Fanatic Forums banner

1966 110 Restore help.

11K views 50 replies 10 participants last post by  RacingRob 
#1 ·
Hello members, I am new here and just recently joined because I want to restore my 1966 JD 110 that me and my grandpa 2orked on and got running when I was about 14 years old in 1990. He passed in 91 and I have kept it a garage ever since. I could use any knowledge you could pass on. I want to keep it original. I have seen some really nice restores on here. Is there anywhere to find out all the original details of the tractor, like what parts were green, yellow, black. Also like did come with the sandpaper foot rests or any attachments? I will try to post some pics as I go, it will be a long process. I currently have the engine tore down and being checked out. Thanks for any help or feed back.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Here are a few pictures of my 1963 that we restored. This should give you an idea what color certain parts were originally painted.

Attachments

#5 ·
Thanks for pics. Looks like everything is green including all bolts. Black muffler and yellow wheels seat and attachment plate which i have just no deck. I have seen some restored with green engines, black engines and green with a non painted aluminum head. Looked to me like my engine was all green, I scratched the paint in several spots and did not find any black under the green. Thanks.

#8 ·
WELCOME, LOOKS LIKE LOTS OF GOOD ADVICE ALREADY.
RESTORATIONS ARE UP TO EACH AND EVERYONE OF US TO DO AS WE PLEASE.
SO DO IT TO YOUR TASTE YOU'LL BE HAPPIER WITH THE END RESULT.
EBAY, CRAIGSLIST ,MOTHER DEERE AND HAPCO ARE GOOD SOURCES FOR PARTS AND SOMETIMES JUST BEING IN THE RIGHT PLACE AT THE RIGHT TIME HELPS.
HAPCO WILL HAVE MANY OF YOUR DECALS AND SUCH FOR THE DETAILS.
AS FOR PAINT ITS ALL PREFERENCE. I LIKE USING SPRAY CANS AS IT WORKS FOR ME AND MY RESULTS HAVE BEEN VERY GOOD. IF USING THE JD BRAND USE THE AG GREEN FOR THE OLDER UNIT.
TALLMANS MAKES A VERY VERY CLOSE MATCH AND SPRAYS JUST AS WELL IF NOT BETTER THAN THE EXPENSIVE JD BRAND..THE YELLOW I HAVE FOUND ONLY JD IS A MATCH .
GOOD LUCK ON YOUR RESTORATION TAKE YOUR TIME AND ENJOY IT.
AGAIN WELCOME TO THE SIGHT AND REMEMBER IF THERE IS NOT A PIC IT DID NOT HAPPEN AS WE LOVE TO SEE AND SHARE PICS.

#9 ·
Welcome, like Kyle said its your tractor do it how you want. Honestly looking at your pictures if you give that thing a bath, use some rubbing compound and polish and you may be surprised how it looks when your done. Just a suggestion. i like using stainless steel fasteners just to dress it up a little and give it a slightly different look.here are some pictures of my 68 140 I restored a few years ago.
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Vehicle Lawn mower Motor vehicle

#18 ·
Welcome, like Kyle said its your tractor do it how you want. Honestly looking at your pictures if you give that thing a bath, use some rubbing compound and polish and you may be surprised how it looks when your done. Just a suggestion. i like using stainless steel fasteners just to dress it up a little and give it a slightly different look.here are some pictures of my 68 140 I restored a few years ago. View attachment 8799 View attachment 8801 View attachment 8803
Excellent job on your 140 restoration Craig, one to be real proud of, definitely very well done.

#14 ·
#16 ·
According to mother Deere, pre ‘87 was classic green. I think it was ‘87. The change was when they started the letter prefix models.

#21 ·
I would like to completely rewire this tractor, what does everyone else do. I found a place online that builds them for $199.00 but that sounds high to me. I probably have all the stuff to do it myself but i am not sure if i could make it look good. Also i tried to test mu generator from some online videos but can't seem to get more than 1 volt out of it. I tore it apart and cleaned the brushes and made sure they were making contact. What else could be wrong? Once i get my engine back from the machine shop i will post some more pics of my progress. Thanks.

#22 ·
I would like to completely rewire this tractor, what does everyone else do. I found a place online that builds them for $199.00 but that sounds high to me. I probably have all the stuff to do it myself but i am not sure if i could make it look good. Also i tried to test mu generator from some online videos but can't seem to get more than 1 volt out of it. I tore it apart and cleaned the brushes and made sure they were making contact. What else could be wrong? Once i get my engine back from the machine shop i will post some more pics of my progress. Thanks.

#25 ·
For a better appearance and longevity than electrical tape, use vinyl harness tape. It’s wider than electrical tape and it doesn’t have adhesive to melt and slide apart.

#32 ·
Thanks everyone. I may build one if i can find all the correct connectors, and of course their are wire colors that i do not have in my stock pile. I can tell this project is going to take a lot longer than i thought. What's the rush I've only been storing it for 25 years. Lol. I will slowly keep everyone updated on the project.

#33 ·
Ok, so my machine shop said the engine can bore to .020 and the crank would need turned to .010. They priced me Kohler parts and Kohler is way to expensive, where is the best place to buy a rebuild kit. I found "isavetractors.com" and they want $224.95 for a complete kit, are they any good or should i look elsewhere? Thanks.

#36 ·
Hi RacingRob,

I just finished restoring a 1967 110.

My advice would be it looks a lot harder than it is. Also, helpful places to find parts would be HAPCO and brillman Co. I found a lot of my parts there, but I suspect HAPCO to be a little overpriced...although I can't prove this. So I usually would find it on HAPCO and ebay search for whatever part I needed. (Not sure if anyone mentioned this I didn't read the forum hehe) Also, Isavetractors is a good site for Kohler K series parts I think.

Looks like you are missing the shifter cover too., there's a lot of those on ebay.

Anyway I'll put a pic up since mine was similar.

Also, my starter/gen is black. That's wrong. It should be green. But, eh, it don't bother me haha.

HAVE FUN WITH IT! I had lots of fun restoring mine.
Tire Wheel Tractor Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Vehicle Green Automotive tire

Brian

#40 ·
Hi RacingRob,

I just finished restoring a 1967 110.

My advice would be it looks a lot harder than it is. Also, helpful places to find parts would be HAPCO and brillman Co. I found a lot of my parts there, but I suspect HAPCO to be a little overpriced...although I can't prove this. So I usually would find it on HAPCO and ebay search for whatever part I needed. (Not sure if anyone mentioned this I didn't read the forum hehe) Also, Isavetractors is a good site for Kohler K series parts I think.

Looks like you are missing the shifter cover too., there's a lot of those on ebay.

Anyway I'll put a pic up since mine was similar.

Also, my starter/gen is black. That's wrong. It should be green. But, eh, it don't bother me haha.

HAVE FUN WITH IT! I had lots of fun restoring mine. View attachment 8921 View attachment 8923

Brian
Hey thanks. I had not looked at Brillman Co. before. I may order my harness from them, seems like a fair price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.