JD Fanatic Forums banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I would like to completely rewire this tractor, what does everyone else do. I found a place online that builds them for $199.00 but that sounds high to me. I probably have all the stuff to do it myself but i am not sure if i could make it look good. Also i tried to test mu generator from some online videos but can't seem to get more than 1 volt out of it. I tore it apart and cleaned the brushes and made sure they were making contact. What else could be wrong? Once i get my engine back from the machine shop i will post some more pics of my progress. Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I would like to completely rewire this tractor, what does everyone else do. I found a place online that builds them for $199.00 but that sounds high to me. I probably have all the stuff to do it myself but i am not sure if i could make it look good. Also i tried to test mu generator from some online videos but can't seem to get more than 1 volt out of it. I tore it apart and cleaned the brushes and made sure they were making contact. What else could be wrong? Once i get my engine back from the machine shop i will post some more pics of my progress. Thanks.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I rewired my 140. Used almost all the colors that were in my wiring diagram. Couldn't find a few. I wrapped it in electrical tape and split off the wires that went elsewhere and then wrapped them. Just like the factory. It turned out pretty well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I rewired my 140. Used almost all the colors that were in my wiring diagram. Couldn't find a few. I wrapped it in electrical tape and split off the wires that went elsewhere and then wrapped them. Just like the factory. It turned out pretty well.
Hey thanks, did you take any pictures of it? Also do you have a book that shows the original colors. Mine looks like a birds nest by the voltage regulator. I will probably do my own just because I don't want to spend $200 for one when I have everything.

·
Registered
96 Posts
There is a guy on Facebook who makes complete wiring harness kits for round fender tractors, His name is Cory Farr. I think he sells them for right around $100.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hey thanks, did you take any pictures of it? Also do you have a book that shows the original colors. Mine looks like a birds nest by the voltage regulator. I will probably do my own just because I don't want to spend $200 for one when I have everything.
I thought i did but apparently not. Next time i have the trailer open i'll have to try and get some.Buy yourself a round fender service manual.Should be able to find one on eBay. The electrical section has all the colors on the wiring diagrams.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thanks everyone. I may build one if i can find all the correct connectors, and of course their are wire colors that i do not have in my stock pile. I can tell this project is going to take a lot longer than i thought. What's the rush I've only been storing it for 25 years. Lol. I will slowly keep everyone updated on the project.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Ok, so my machine shop said the engine can bore to .020 and the crank would need turned to .010. They priced me Kohler parts and Kohler is way to expensive, where is the best place to buy a rebuild kit. I found "isavetractors.com" and they want $224.95 for a complete kit, are they any good or should i look elsewhere? Thanks.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I would watch ebay for OEM Kohler parts, I have bought NOS piston kits for $30.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi RacingRob,

I just finished restoring a 1967 110.

My advice would be it looks a lot harder than it is. Also, helpful places to find parts would be HAPCO and brillman Co. I found a lot of my parts there, but I suspect HAPCO to be a little overpriced...although I can't prove this. So I usually would find it on HAPCO and ebay search for whatever part I needed. (Not sure if anyone mentioned this I didn't read the forum hehe) Also, Isavetractors is a good site for Kohler K series parts I think.

Looks like you are missing the shifter cover too., there's a lot of those on ebay.

Anyway I'll put a pic up since mine was similar.

Also, my starter/gen is black. That's wrong. It should be green. But, eh, it don't bother me haha.

HAVE FUN WITH IT! I had lots of fun restoring mine.
Untitled.png
20201203_153610.jpg

Brian

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Hi RacingRob,

I just finished restoring a 1967 110.

My advice would be it looks a lot harder than it is. Also, helpful places to find parts would be HAPCO and brillman Co. I found a lot of my parts there, but I suspect HAPCO to be a little overpriced...although I can't prove this. So I usually would find it on HAPCO and ebay search for whatever part I needed. (Not sure if anyone mentioned this I didn't read the forum hehe) Also, Isavetractors is a good site for Kohler K series parts I think.

Looks like you are missing the shifter cover too., there's a lot of those on ebay.

Anyway I'll put a pic up since mine was similar.

Also, my starter/gen is black. That's wrong. It should be green. But, eh, it don't bother me haha.

HAVE FUN WITH IT! I had lots of fun restoring mine. View attachment 8921 View attachment 8923

Brian
Hey thanks. I had not looked at Brillman Co. before. I may order my harness from them, seems like a fair price.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts