JD Fanatic Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi everyone,

Just like all of you I've been bit by the antique garden tractor bug. A fully restored 1964 110 recently became for sale near me. His asking price is $1500. Is this a price I should entertain because of the restoration? I am new to the 110 scene so I have no idea what are original parts or what else to look for. He claims "it has been completely restored to like new condition. Everything has been sand blasted primed and painted, the engine and mower deck have been rebuilt"

Please let me know your thoughts, thanks!

Screenshot_2016-05-18-20-23-40.png

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
He probably has that in it by looking at the pictures.Its alot of money .Your call if you cannot do the restoration yourself then this surely would be for you. If you can the 64's seem to be popping up and you could get one for up to about 3-6 dollars depending on person selling and condition of the unit.

And I forgot to add welcome to the sight. There are a lot of well versed good people who are members that are always willing to help out. 

·
Super Moderator
1,012 Posts
Welcome Cheeseburger, glad to have you with us as a member. Hope you enjoy the site and find everything you need.

As for the tractor question, I can agree with Kyle by saying the seller can very well have that much into the tractor, as a full blown restoration can easily cost that much, especially when it comes to rebuilding the motor and tranny. Judging from the picture that you have provided, I can see for the most part, that the tractor appears to have all of it's original parts. The only things that aren't correct on the tractor would be the frame deck and foot tread mats as well as the deck decal in front of the deck mat and the PTO operating decal. The deck decal that is on this tractor was only used on 1967 110's and 112's, and the PTO operating decal was only used on 1965 through 1967 110's and 1966 and 1967 112's. However, these items wouldn't keep me from buying the tractor! 

To answer your question, yes it would be worth the asking price, however you may not get your money back out of it if you are looking to resell it in a couple of years. This tractor is only worth the asking price if you are looking to purchase a tractor that is already restored and you wouldn't have to put any work into it. Good luck in buying it and keep us posted! 

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks johndeereelfman....lots of good info right there!  I called the owner and I am going to go see it tomorrow morning. (I found he has a 1963 110 too.....not for sale.)

What are any and all items anyone would look at while looking over this machine if you were going to buy it? (I'm still green, no pun intended.)

·
Super Moderator
1,012 Posts
If the motor was indeed rebuilt, there shouldn't be any smoke showing from the muffler at start up nor while running. If the seller will let you, and he rightfully should, drive the tractor around so that you can check all gears in the transmission. The shifter should shift into all three forward gears and reverse gear without any grinding. While driving, listen closely to the transmission for any whining or make sure you don't feel any clunking so to speak. For the price he's asking, the transmission should have been rebuilt and all of the things I said to listen or feel for, shouldn't be present. 

On the right hand side of the dash pedestal is a short lever. While driving the tractor around, move this lever forward and rearward to see how the tractor reacts in all gears, including reverse. With the lever all the way forward, the tractor will be at it's fastest range in which ever gear your in. While pulling the lever rearward slowly while moving, the tractor should move slower in each selected gear. This lever is called the variator lever, and is intended to give the operator 7 speed ranges in each gear of the transmission. 

Look inside the gas tank and see how it looks. Hopefully there is no rust present. Ask the seller how many hours the motor has been ran since getting rebuilt, and also ask him if he has been running ethenol gas in the tractor, or if he has been treating the gas before filling the tank. Ethenol gas will destroy these old tractors if not properly treated. 

Also while driving the tractor, activate the mower deck so that you can listen to the bearings. If the deck was rebuilt, then the bearings should have been replaced and the mower deck should be fairly quiet while running.

Good Luck tomorrow, and hope you get it! :)  

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Truly sorry......I posted that message while I was driving, just after buying it.  I will get pics loaded tomorrow. I had a 4 hour round trip to buy the 110 and had to squeak out all the extra time I had in the day to make it happen. Pics tomorrow.........!!

I also want to thank everyone again for their help and information. Now the real questions begin............................. 

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you backwoods. I will be using it to mow. Nothing too harsh though. I'm going to keep it cleaned and shined. I will probably drive in a couple local parades too.

I think there is an accessory that can be added to the rear for a tow ball hitch. I'd like to get one of those and a yard cart too.

It has been a great conversation piece in my neighborhood so far.  :D

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Looks good. I think the only change I'd make would be the rubber treads on the running boards. 

It was nice of him to include the extra front tires. Congrats on the purchase. 

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you. Those foot treads are made of a cheap foam that look like black diamond plate. There is nothing holding them in place. The guy said he just didn't want to put anything permanent on the fresh paint. What was on the foot rest when these originally rolled off the line?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts