JD Fanatic Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, I am brand new to the forums. I love the styling of old John Deere garden tractors from the 1960's. There is one for sale about 75 miles from here that looks to be in very nice condition. It includes the mower deck and vintage pull behind wagon. He says it was used to mow last summer. The price is $1300, which seems to be steep. Maybe he would come down on the price though. I would appreciate what those of you thought. This would be my first vintage mower. Thanks

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
1,004 Posts
First off, Welcome to the site 63 C10, glad to have you with us!

As for your question, you are right, the price is a little steep. The tractor however seem to be complete and in really decent condition. Rear tires are original, and since I can only see the front left, I can tell that this one replaced at some point. If the cart that is included, is the one standing on end in your second picture, it is a newer cart than that of the year of the tractor. 

The tractor is a 1964 110. It should have a three speed transmission, meaning it will have three forward gears and one reverse gear. The engine should be a single cylinder Kohler K181 8hp engine. These tractors are very fun to play around with, but let me tell you, they are very addictive and one will not be enough. They seem to magically reproduce when you aren't looking!  :lol:  

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. The ad said "vintage" trailer.   I thought it looked modern.   Unless he's talking about a trailer other than the one pictured.  I will give the guy a call and get more info    I'll find out and report back.   

I have been looking at getting an older tractor for some time.  I like the looks of the wheel horse 854 and 1964 Cub Cadet 100. Great looking tractors!  Johndeereelfman, like you say, maybe some day I will have all three ha.  

·
Registered
6 Posts
First off, Welcome to the site 63 C10, glad to have you with us!

As for your question, you are right, the price is a little steep. The tractor however seem to be complete and in really decent condition. Rear tires are original, and since I can only see the front left, I can tell that this one replaced at some point. If the cart that is included, is the one standing on end in your second picture, it is a newer cart than that of the year of the tractor. 

The tractor is a 1964 110. It should have a three speed transmission, meaning it will have three forward gears and one reverse gear. The engine should be a single cylinder Kohler K181 8hp engine. These tractors are very fun to play around with, but let me tell you, they are very addictive and one will not be enough. They seem to magically reproduce when you aren't looking!  :lol:  
I am new to forums and don't know a lot about the tractors. I am searching around to see the Value of a John Deere 110 with the serial number 4283. I am listing it for sale but don't know where I should list. I would appreciate any help. Thanks! 

·
Registered
6 Posts
Welcome to JDF! Sorry, I can't say anything about the value of your 110 in the USA. Here in europe it will be a rare tractor...

Welcome to JDF! Sorry, I can't say anything about the value of your 110 in the USA. Here in europe it will be a rare tractor...

Thank you for your reply. The serial number is 4283.

·
Super Moderator
1,004 Posts
Welcome to the site JD110owner. In order for us to give you some type of estimated value, it would help if you could post some pictures of your tractor. Overall condition will be a big part of us determining where to start in making estimated guesses. 

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Not bad the tractor is worth what your willing to pay. In watching other web sites you'll find the tractor is worth any where from 0- 800.00 $. The tiller, 4.80x8 front rims and weights are a bonus .Front rims are hard to find unless you have a friend willing to help you out. 0-200.00 $, weights single notch 0-250.00 $$, tiller 0- 650.00 $ . The tractor has a non original muffler , wrong fly wheel / generator belt cover for year and is missing pto pulley cover. That being said if I was buying it I would try to get it for 4 - 650.00. That is my opinion and others will vary it has nice parts with it that make it more desirable.Good luck, do your research.

·
Super Moderator
1,004 Posts
Kyle gave you some good information, but I did notice a few other things that don't appear to be original to the year of your tractor. While looking at the back of the tractor, it appears that it has a newer hitch plate, which were used on the four speed transmissions. Not too big of a deal, as long as the transmission hasn't been replaced. Your tractor is supposed to have the three speed transmission. Might be worth your while to remove one of the rear weights and take a picture of the hub. Then post it so we can see if the transmission is correct or not. Removing a weight will be much easier than trying to remove the tiller, trust me!

I also took notice that the engine drive pulley guard is one from a 1966 or 1967 model year, due to the fact that it has the hydraulic lift belt cutout. Your tractor should not have this, as hydraulic lift wasn't offered yet in 1964. With this incorrect guard, plus the starter/generator shield being wrong, I'm willing to be that the motor has been replaced with a newer model. The engine drive pulley guard would have had to be replaced due to the newer motor having the longer generator.

It also appears that the lift handle may have been broken at some point and possibly welded back together? Could be wrong, but it seems bent more than usual. Can you confirm this?

The tractor was obviously repainted at some point, but I can't tell how well of a job was done. Can any type of shine be obtained? Would help in selling the tractor if it was washed or cleaned up some.

With all of this said and pointed out, I feel the tractor and tiller could be listed with an asking price of $450.00. For a guy like me who looks for originality and completeness, I would most likely try to talk you into a lower number due to the fact that there are parts and pieces to find in order to make the tractor complete or original again. However, for someone who just wants a toy to tinker with and isn't concerned about the things that I am, they would be getting a decent tractor and you shouldn't get any argument from them about the pricing. It's a real shame you don't have a mower deck for it, as that would increase your selling value. Right now, as is, the tractor can only be used for tilling or possibly pulling a dump cart around if the buyer would happen to have one. 

Good luck on the sale, and try to post pictures of the rear axle hubs if you can so that we can see if the transmission is correct or not. 

Oh, and I would start out trying to sell the tractor privately first. Maybe set it out front with a For Sale sign on it, or list it on your local Craigslist. 

1 - 19 of 19 Posts