JD Fanatic Forums banner

1964 110 #12255 restoration

4K views 55 replies 9 participants last post by  Brandan Smoker 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,
Just though I would start a restoration thread on my Dad’s 1964 110 that we have been working on for the last couple weeks. Here are a couple before photos. The other 1964 on the right in the second photo is my nice original paint 110, I am leaving it original. I will keep everyone updated on the progress.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
#3 ·
I then spent a couple days blasting all the parts in our blasting cabinet. Then Dad started doing the body work. He painted the first batch of parts last Sunday.

Attachments

#4 ·
Here are some of the painted parts. We are using u-tech automotive paint on it. We will wet sand the hood and fenders in a few days and then clear coat them. We are currently working on re-sealing and rebuilding the transmission. Once that is completed we will tear down the engine and send out the block to be bored .010.

Attachments

#9 ·
Finished up the transmission today, then Dad painted some parts yellow.

Attachments

#11 ·
This one had the factory light kit on it when we bought it, but the previous owner bumped against the side of the hood one time and completely ripped the right headlight off. Dad prefers them without lights so he ended up selling the light kit years ago.

#14 ·
We got the transmission and generator painted the other day and Dad clear coated the hood, dash and fenders. Now we just need to disassemble the engine for a rebuild, and then paint it once we get the block back from the machine shop.

Attachments

#17 ·
We decided to start re assembling some parts today.

Attachments

#23 ·
We wet sanded and buffed the hood last night, then installed the decals.

Attachments

#26 ·
Made a little more progress on the 64 yesterday. Hoping to start disassembling the engine this afternoon or tomorrow.

Attachments

#29 ·
We dropped the block off at the machine shop last Monday, unfortunately they are pretty busy and said it could be 6 weeks until they get to it. Will update once we get it back.

#30 ·
Well after 2 months of waiting to hear from the Amishman at the machine shop, they finally called and said the block was finished. We decided to start rebuilding the engine today, took the block out of the plastic that the machine shop had wrapped it in and found a unpleasant surprise. The machine shop must have either dropped it or tried clamping the block down on the cooling fins and broke a couple pieces of the fins!!! They tried welding the one piece back on! We double checked some pictures we had taken of the block before taking it to the machine shop and it was not broken when we dropped it off at there shop. Dad called them and asked if they knew what happened to it and they denied that they broke it. Needless to say we won’t be going back to them again in the future! Fortunately the fins will be covered by the shrouds so it won’t be visible. It is pretty frustrating that they had to do that to a correct 1964 block with the screw in dipstick, and not a common 1965-1967 block! It is mostly put back together now and we will paint it in the next couple days.

Attachments

#35 ·
We got the engine painted! Hoping to finish up the tractor this weekend if all goes as planned.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.