JD Fanatic Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there new to the green tractors as my family owns a AC dealership and somehow started collecting Wheel Horses .
So my cousin inherited his grandpa’s 63 110 back in the early 2000’s . He came to me fo help as he said it’s time to sell . It’s all original with one very old repaint and no cracks anywhere . @johndeereelfman ( you still have that RJ ? ) has helped me before with some information but always looking for more . I like them in their original working clothes but he owns a body shop so he can really do a fine paint job too . All the pictures I have at the moment. I have some rare ones but I know how special this tractor is in the JD world . I’d add it to my collection but I’m downsizing too . Just give me your thoughts of what it’s worth and should he restore or leave it alone before he lets loose of it .

Thanks ACman .

Green Font Motor vehicle Gas Bumper
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looking for a kohler carburetor repair kit too . Does anybody know if it should take the kohler part# 257-5701-S or 257570-2 . I believe the needle and seats are different . I know that the 63 ran the k161 . Just Curious because I just had one rebuilt for my K91 and they used up 02 – S but it doesn’t have its data plate so I don’t know what year or spec # that engine is .

·
Administrator
812 Posts
Hey Buddy!! Glad to see you over here on the dark side!! Well darker paint side anyway. 🤣 Since the tractor has already been repainted at one point in its life, and you have the right know how and connections, I personally would restore the tractor correctly. It has the original fiberglass fenders, the correct hubs, correct front Carlisle tires, and starter/generator shield, so go ahead and do it right.

Does he have the mower deck too, or just the tractor? If you can snap a photo of the other side of the tractor that would help. Is the motor indeed the K161 7hp? If you want to PM me for a list of all of the exclusive features of the '63, let me know and I'll explain them all to you.

Welcome aboard and glad to have you with us. Now it's my turn to watch you paint a tractor of a different color!! 😁

·
Administrator
812 Posts
I need to see your carb in order to tell you which carb kit you need. I want to be sure you have the original carb.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@johndeereelfman I’m waiting for pictures as he still has it at his house . So you think it would be worth restoring before he sells and I’m sure all decals and other parts are repopped ? I’ve seen some nice ones go through Mecum for big $$$ . My buddies on the other forum are on top of it too . It’s either a Carter or Wablo

·
Registered
186 Posts
The problem with Mecum, is most are bought for way too much, and they aren’t what they are claimed to be. Those auctions are just ruining the hobbies. It’s just idiots throwing around money.
Sorry, let me digress and put away my soapbox.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I totally agree . Like him to take it to the Portage , Wisconsin next year for the 60th anniversary as it’s the feature tractor next year . Give me an excuse and meet up with my Wheel Horse mafia crew . So he sent me some additional pictures. Looks like a fabricated deck to me . Has owners manual and original bill of sale . Lost the tattered seat cover somewhere in the move .
Wheel Tractor Vehicle Tire Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Tractor Vehicle Automotive tire
Wood Road surface Asphalt Gas Rectangle

·
Administrator
812 Posts
I just reread your post AC. So it's your cousin's tractor right now, and he is wanting to know if he should restore it before selling or if he should just sell it as is, correct?? I originally thought you just inherited it wanted advice if you should restore it or not.

If he's looking to sell it, then I'd sell it as is. Wouldn't even waste the time, money, and effort restoring it. If it is all original like you say it is, and if it has the original mower deck and it's in as good of shape as the tractor, then I see no reason why he couldn't get at least $2,500.00 for it minimum. A really nice restored tractor would bring around $3,500.00, so you have to ask yourself, is it really worth restoring it for "maybe" an extra $1,000.00??? I know personally how much money and time is involved with restoring one of these tractors, and believe me, you never get the money for your time out of them.

Good luck to you both, and I'm sure you won't have any trouble in selling it. It all boils down to how much someone is willing to pay for it, whether it's a really nice restored unit or not.

·
Administrator
812 Posts
Other than it having the wrong muffler on it, it looks Complete. That is the original deck for it. Would be curious to see how close the tractor serial number is to the mower deck serial number. It's rare, but sometimes you get lucky like I did with mine, where both the tractor and the deck have identical serial numbers.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Welcome @ACman ! Nice tractor that your cousin has there.
I can’t speak to value, others certainly are more in tune to the market. I would think the decision would come down to will it increase the value enough to cover the time, effort and materials that he is going to put into it. As you probably already know from your Wheelhorses most that restore anything from small garden tractors to antique trucks rarely recover their costs. They get their return on their investment in the thrill of the first start after a rebuild and the ability to show them off when they are done.
Good luck with the project and don’t be afraid to share some photos of your herd, unless @johndeereelfman says that’s against the rules…
Dave

·
Administrator
812 Posts
Thank you Sir. If they are pictures of your Wheel Horses, please post them under the Other Brands Forum. If it doesn't work for you, no sweat as I can move it for you if needed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts