JD Fanatic Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I think it's time to tackle something I've been avoiding on my 110. The transaxle is leaking at both hubs. Is this a simple fix? From the service manual it doesn't look too bad. Looks like the axel housing wil come off of the case of the trans? I've been trying to read up on it. Appears to be a seal and o ring on each side that need replacing? Some recommend replacing the bearings while in there? I would like to avoid splitting the trans case or removing it from the tractor if I could. 

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
No need to split the case. It'll take you longer to get the rear loose and lower it down to get to the axle bolts than to replace the seals. I prop the rear of the tractor up on jack stands under the frame.(chock front wheels) Then put the floor jack under the rear so you can raise and lower it easier. Lifting them by yourself is a bit of a struggle. The axle tubes slide off and the seal is on the metal internal piece that you can usually easily remove.Sorry I  do not know official name of the internal piece.The o-ring goes around the out side of the inner piece. I'd do both axles since you have it down. It's easier to do them both at one time. I usually check the hearings on the end of the axle tubs if they feel at all funky replace them also since you have it apart. I also rap masking tape around the axle splines along with a little grease to protect and allow the seal to slide on easier.

This is my way and it works for me. You'll find your own way thru trial and error and there is always someone here with good if not better advice to help out!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome, thanks for the info. Did some searching and ordered the seals from mother Deere tonight as well as a new deck drive belt. Mother Deere is getting a lot of my cash lately! Found the service manual for the trans online. Seems like the seal is easy enough to replace. Thanks for the tips. 

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
  I must be spoiled my guys usually have these in stock.They know I'll be there to get them eventually.They treat me very well and are always able to help out.Guess I've grown accustomed to just always getting what I need quickly. Keep us posted .I hope you'll find it easy to do just take your time.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So now after having it back together and running it for a while, it's leaking again. I think I'll just keep an eye on it until this winter when I have some more time, then I pull the trans apart and go through it and check all of internals. I'll probably replace the detent ball and springs since you have to be in just the right spot for 2nd gear to engage. I'll most likely replace all of the seals as well. Just another step in the process I guess.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a question on this. Is there a vent for the transaxle on my square fender? I'm reading over on wfmachines and seeing that there might have been on the round fenders? Weather it matters or not, I filled the transaxle through the plug up near the gear shifter while it was out of the tractor. I assumed it was the factory fill port? I think I have the peerless manual downloaded somewhere, I'll have to look around.

·
Super Moderator
1,009 Posts
The round fenders and early flat fenders did not utilize the vent pipes. If your transaxle was supposed to have the vent pipe, there would be a tube sticking up from the top of the tranny behind the shifter. Some of the flat fenders had them, some didn't. 

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The round fenders and early flat fenders did not utilize the vent pipes. If your transaxle was supposed to have the vent pipe, there would be a tube sticking up from the top of the tranny behind the shifter. Some of the flat fenders had them, some didn't. 
Come to find out my factory fill plug has a vent built into it. I pulled it out when I got home. It is indeed plugged. Don't know if it will definitely cause a leak on it's own, but can't help anything. I'm going to clean it out and then reinstall. hopefully it will help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts