JD Fanatic Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for a really small vintage lawn tractor for my kid for Christmas . When I was a teenager I worked at a machine shop and I rehabbed a tiny old wheel horse for my boss no idea the model number but it was about half the size of a modern mower by my recollection.

I have a lead on a 1967 JD 60 but before I drive up to look at it as it’s about 1.5 hours away I was wondering how small are these things? Also how hard is the steering and brake/clutch pressure needed to operate?

I figure I can move the seat all the way forward and I can fabricate a pedal extension. It comes with a deck but he won’t be allowed to have that for a few years nor will he find out about the high gear pulley.

So is this thing as small as it looks in the pictures, and could a small kid muscle the steering wheel around?

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
986 Posts
https://www.tractordata.com/lawn-tractors/000/0/0/1-john-deere-60.html
Here is some info on the 60. I have a 70 which is basically the same tractor. They are pretty small, but you will most likely need a pedal extender. I had to make one for my 9 year old daughter. The pedal is pretty stiff, at least on ours. You may be able to find a different spring that's not as stiff, but will still do the job.
Good luck!
We will need pics if you do buy it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I did find those specs on tractor data but it’s a bit hard for me to visualize size just based on wheel base. I was surprised by the weight but I guess when nothing was plastic it adds up quick.

Pedal extension is no problem and I didn’t even think about swapping out the spring I’m sure I can get a couple variables from McMaster Carr.

How about the steering effort how hard is that?

Any chance you have a picture of your 9 year old on the 70 for size reference?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I bit the bullet and picked up the 60, for $150 I couldn’t pass it up. Is there anywhere online with a free pdf owners manual that you guys know of? Or better yet a service manual. It came with the original 6hp motor which appears to be complete but fully disassembled. It also came with an 8hp Briggs which is in good shape and supposedly runs. I will probably throw the Briggs in and get it going for Christmas and eventually rebuild the Tecumseh and put it back original.

Attachments

·
Registered
986 Posts
Jeff, I tried emailing the manual that I have, but it was to large to send I guess. So I tried uploading it here and that didn't work....

·
Registered
105 Posts
The 60 will be a great starter for your son. 60's don't steer to bad shouldnt have to muscle it. My dad got me a 60 when I was young and I drove the wheels off of it. The hood and original seat cover looks to be in good shape.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Figured I’d post a follow up. I ended up getting the 60 going just in time for Christmas, and I mean just in time I bought a Techumseh 3.5hp off eBay that came with the intake manifold smashed off of it and after finding one locally from a great small engine shop (he stole it off a NOS engine that had been sitting on his shelf for about 15 years, had I known that was there I wouldn’t have ever got into the Ebay debacle) anyway after putting it together it still wouldn’t run had the carb on and off and re-cleaned more times than I can count on one hand but it would just start and immediately die. On the way to the in-laws Christmas Eve night it dawned on me that I never checked float height I had been through everything else 10x. So to make a long story short I got the thing going about 10pm Christmas Eve night and put-putted it down from my shop to the driveway for Christmas morning. Low speed on the gearbox is really slow on these things which is perfect for him but terribly slow for me. I ended up putting about a 12” metal pedal extension on it that I fabbed up and a 4” thicker seat back to get him forward enough to drive. It turned out to be just right when he got in the seat. A buddy of mine just gave him a real JD dump trailer to replace his sisters chariot in the second picture with something more green.

8DFA55A5-FB51-49D9-836B-A50633229788.jpeg
4CC5457A-5612-4CF7-8156-D89EF40F1482.jpeg

·
Administrator
890 Posts
Congrats on the 60!! Fun little tractors to play around with. I currently have 5 in my collection. (1) 1967, (2) 1968's, and (2) 1969's. The only year I need yet is a first year 1966. I have a couple of 70's as well, but would rather have the 4 year set of 60's.

·
Administrator
890 Posts
You have 5 60’s? I need a bigger garage... That’s awesome
36 lawn and garden tractors total. However, with all of this free time lately, I have cleaned out the garage and started to reorganize. Working on getting the '70 140 up and running with the tiller, and spent most of the day today polishing and waxing the '70 120. Waiting on some miscellaneous parts to get a '73 70 up and running, and then it's onto removing a cab from a '67 60 so that I can refurbish it a bit, reinstall the cab, then install the snowthrower so it will be ready for a show.

·
Registered
100 Posts
36 lawn and garden tractors total. However, with all of this free time lately, I have cleaned out the garage and started to reorganize. Working on getting the '70 140 up and running with the tiller, and spent most of the day today polishing and waxing the '70 120. Waiting on some miscellaneous parts to get a '73 70 up and running, and then it's onto removing a cab from a '67 60 so that I can refurbish it a bit, reinstall the cab, then install the snowthrower so it will be ready for a show.
You've got an Awesome collection indeed! I can sure see why you are the go to guy for good information and expertise. We're fortunate to have that great source of knowledge that you can offer. If I see or hear of that '66 60 you're looking for I'll be sure to steer it your way.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
GUESS YOUR NOT SELLING ANYTHING NOW ...................
LIKE MY MOST FAVORITE PIECE IN THAT COLLECTION. THE BEAUTIFUL AIR COMPRESSOR YOU KNOW I DROOL OVER!!!!!:p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts